Kareri Lake is mostly known for being a tramping destination in the Dhauladhers. Kareri Lake is a freshwater lake with high altitude and shallow located south of the Dhauladhar ranges, Approximately 9 kilometers northeast Kangra district. Its surface is of 2934 meters overhead to the sea level.
Dhauladhar range serves as the source of a lake and a stream beautifully because of snow melting and Nylund in the outflow.
The lake is shallow, and its origin is fresh melting snow. The lake stays preserved from early December to March-April. There is a famous temple on the hilltop overlooking the lake, and the temple devotes to Lord Shiva and Shakti. Water discernibility is immensely high, and in the majority places, the lake bed can be seen.
Day 1: Dharamshala to Kareri Village (27 Km Drive), Trek from Kareri Villlage to Reoti (9Km Trek)
Destination Altitude: 5905 ft.
- On arriving at Dharamshala, meet our team and the rest of the group as we welcome you into a small briefing. We begin by driving to Kareri village (27 Km) in pre-arranged shared cabs from where our days’ trek begins.
- On reaching the village, meet the natives of Kareri, the Gaddi Shephards. Witness a timeless culture and seep in as much local bounty as possible.
- The trek to Reoti begins here. It’s a short moderate trek, which takes up to 4-5 hours. Walk along with the forests of Oak, Rhododendron, and Pine. The trail follows the Nyund river.
- Camp overnight and have dinner at Reoti. The large flatlands and abundant source of water make it an ideal place to camp. Enjoy the bonfire under the majesty of the Himalayas (if weather permits).
Day 2: Reoti to Kareri Lake (6 Km Trek)
Destination altitude: 9, 626 ft.
- We begin our trek to Kareri early morning after having a filling breakfast.
- The trek takes 3-4 hours with moderate conditions.
- After arriving at Kareri Lake, we pitch our tents right next to the exquisite lake. Explore the surroundings, gaze at the majestic Dhauladhar range, or visit the Lord Shiva temple that overlooks the lake from a hilltop.
- Camp overnight and have dinner.
Day 3: Kareri Lake to Dharamshala (15 Km Trek back to Kareri Village and a short drive back to Dharamshala)
- We descend to Kareri Village after a filling breakfast. The descend is long but easy.
- Have lunch after reaching the Kareri village.
- From here, we drive back to Dharamshala (27 Km). This marks the end of our short but adventurous journey.
- Accommodation (Camping)
- Meals while on trek (Veg + Eggs)
- Trek equipment's (Waterproof Good Quality Tents, Clean Sleeping bags, Ground Mattress, Kitchen Tent, Ration, Utensils, Toilet Tents)
- All necessary permits and entry fees (Forest and Local).
- First-Aid Medical kits.
- Mountaineering qualified & professional Trek Leader, Local Guide and Support Staff.
- Transport from Dharamshala to Kareri village and back on sharing basis.
- Any kind of personal expenses.
- Meals and accommodation in Dharamshala
- Alcoholic/Aerated beverages/ bottled water
- Mules or porter to carry personal luggage.
- Transport from Dharamshala to Kareri and back
- Duration- 3 Days
- Difficulty Level- Moderate | Height: 9,626 ft
- Temperature: Day: 8°C to 25°C and Night: 0°C to -10°C
- Trek Distance- 16 km
- Start Point- Dharamshala
- Reschedulable because of covid 19